Saturday, May 10, 2014

The Luxurious Sheraton Sana'a in Yemen.

I read a recent news story about the attempted abduction of military personell in Yemen, where I found the above picture. It's a U.S. marine post on the roof of the Sheraton Sana'a in Yemen's capital. Being a scatterbrain at the best of times, I didn't think about global terrorism, modern jihad vs modern crusade,or anything really relevant to the story. I wondered what it would be like to stay in this place. So I went to Trip Advisor :) At $360.00 per night, it is one of the more expensive hotels I have heard of. Here is a sample review from one traveller; "This place is not worthy of the Sheraton brand. I don't have the space or patience to list all the things that are wrong with this hotel. From the decrepid look that suggests no work has been done since the 70s to the undertrained staff, to the key cards that don't work after a day and the cats in the kitchen, there's just so much to cover. Do not stay here." More pics and reviews here The Sheraton Sana'a is ostensibly militarized in order to protect the U.S. diplomatic mission in Yemen, however there are those that see it more as the headquarters of a small scale occupation, similar to the Green Zone in Baghdad.

No comments: